Do You Need Help Sleeping Like I Did? Read This For Help!
Many people struggle with getting a good nights sleep. It seems that between stress, jobs, day to day living and just running fast all the time, many of us have a challenge shutting off our brain at the end of the day and getting a quality nights sleep, I know I did!
The good news? We have an oil for that! Actually, not just one oil. There are, in fact, numerous essential oils for better sleep. The trick is finding exactly which oil your body likes best. Since every person is different, an oil that might send one person straight to dreamland, might not do a thing for someone else. Sometimes finding the best oil for you just takes a little bit of trial and error. However, once you find that magic combo, life will never be the same.
8 Essential Oils for Sleep
1. Lavender: I’m betting you probably aren’t surprised to see Lavender essential oil at the top of the list, huh? Most people are aware that lavender is somehow related to sleep, but what most people don’t know is that this has been studied extensively and its effectiveness is more than just an Old Wives Tale. One study done in the United Kingdom showed promising results in using the aroma of Lavender oil to support better sleep, another study observed that inhalation of lavender and several other essential oils improved sleep quality of 56 ICU patients. So as innocent as lavender may seem, it packs an impressive (and very scientific) punch in the sleep department.
2. Vetiver: Vetiver essential oil is distilled from the roots of the plant. It’s rich and earthy smelling, and it’s my go-to oil when I need to help my brain “shut-off” for the night. My favorite is to put a few drops on my belly button and rub it in, Goodnight!
3. Roman Chamomile: Roman Chamomile essential oil is known for is calming, soothing, and relaxing properties. It has a light, floral scent and is wonderful for creating a peaceful atmosphere in your bedroom.
4. Ylang Ylang: Ylang Ylang essential oil is a wonderful choice if you are looking to improve the quality of your sleep. It’s very floral and smells a bit fruity.
5. Bergamot: Bergamot is a citrus fruit and the oil is cold-pressed from the rind or peel. Most citrus oils (like grapefruit or wild orange) tend to have a bit of a stimulating effect, but bergamot is different. It’s bright, yet calming at the same time. It’s one of the first ones I reach for when I need a bit of “emotional balancing,” and I add it to ALL of my sleep blends.
6. Sandalwood: I love the rich, woodsy oils, and Sandalwood is no exception. It is a pricier oil, but a little bit goes a long way, so it’s one I keep around at all times. Men seem to like the smell of this oil also.
7. Marjoram: I know, I know… The first time I heard of Marjoram essential oil, all I could think of was using it in cooking. But its benefits go far beyond that! Not only is marjoram essential oil wonderful for soothing muscles and joints, but it also excels in creating peaceful sleep.
8. Serenity® Blend: Also know as the calming blend is an essential oil blend that is exclusive to doTERRA and the only brand I use in my home. Serenity smells of lavender and vanilla and is incredibly soothing. This is a favorite!
How to Use These Sleepy Essential Oils
When I’m using my essential oil stash to create a more peaceful sleeping atmosphere, there are two main methods that I use:
1. Topical Use: Applying oil topically can be a wonderful way to reap their benefits. I generally rub oils on the back of my neck, or on the bottoms of my feet before bed.
2. Aromatic Use: My other secret essential oil weapon are essential oils diffusers. It’s easy to add just a few drops of any of these oils to a bit of water in your essential oil diffuser, set by your bedside, and you’ll be in dreamland in no time.