This delicious, satisfying soup contains spices high in medicinal qualities and has powerful carotenoids and antioxidants that can protect your body from free radical damage.
Tumeric boosts detoxification, fights inflammation, reduces blood sugar, boosts cognitive function, promotes healthy mood, and supports weight loss.
Saffron is high in manganese, which helps regulate blood sugar, metabolize carbohydrates, and absorb calcium.
Ginger supports digestion, boosts the immune system, helps to reduce inflammation, and supports weight loss.
Cinnamon helps curb sugar cravings and is packed with a variety of protective antioxidants that reduce inflammation, free radical damage and slow the aging process.
1 ½ cups cooked or 1 can Garbanzo Beans (rinsed & drained)
1 ½ cups cooked or 1 can White Beans (rinsed & drained)
¾ cup uncooked Green Lentils (rinsed & drained)
1 cup cooked brown/black rice
2 cups/ 1 diced onion
¾ cup Celery (including leaves) diced – 2 long stalks
4 cups fresh /1 can diced Tomatoes
4 – 8 Tablespoons of chopped Cilantro
½ – 1 cup chopped Flat Leaf parsley
2 ½ quarts Vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tsp Tumeric
¼ tsp (2 packets) Saffron
1 tsp fresh Ginger
1 tsp – TBSP of Cinnamon /stick/
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Sea salt / to taste
1. Heat the oil in soup pot over low heat. Add diced onions for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring until tender and starting to brown.
2. Add the spices and celery and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock, lentils, and cooked beans. Bring to a simmer and add a tsp of sea salt and ground pepper.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes and check the lentils for doneness.
6. When the lentils are cooked, add the cooked rice, cilantro and parsley.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning with sea salt & pepper.